Thursday, February 23, 2012

Production Notes YNTSKY [PART 1]


ABOUT THE PRODUCTION
“You wanna get away with murder kill a rapper.” KRS-ONE

People always asked me the same question. Why did I want to make a film about
Hip-Hop? My answer always made reference to my love for Hip-Hop and my fear
of where it was headed. My first recollection of hip-hop was the classic film
“Crush Groove”. I was extremely young but the film is burned in my memory. It
had an enormous effect on me. Run DMC, LL Cool J, The Fat Boys, Curtis Blow,
that was the golden era. Of Hip Hop. I wanted to make a film that capture the
essence of where hip-hop was right now. A film that was timeless and that truly
represented what hip-hop was about today. The good and the bad. I wanted to
get away from the more comedic films about hip hop like CB 4 and away from the
clichéʼ gangster hip hop films like State Property. Donʼt get me wrong, those films
were great for what they were, but I felt a need to film that was a stark contrast to
those images.

No comments:

Post a Comment